acquired April 23, 2020
acquired April 23, 2020
Tornado Leaves a Mark on Rural Texas
- Landsat 8 - OLI
- Data Date: April 23, 2020
- Visualization Date: April 27, 2020
On April 22-23, 2020, powerful thunderstorms blew across eastern Texas and western Louisiana and spawned several tornadoes, including some that caused severe damage.
The Operational Land Imager (OLI) on Landsat 8 acquired this image showing the trail of damage caused by an EF-2 tornado that tore through Jasper and Newton counties in Texas. According to the National Weather Service, the storm had peak winds of 130 miles (210 kilometers) per hour. It damaged roofs and snapped trees along a track that extended 37 miles (60 kilometers). While this tornado passed through a rural area and caused no injuries, the same supercell storm system spawned several other tornadoes, some of which caused injuries, deaths, and severe damage to homes in several places in the region.
Scientists with NASA’s Earth applied sciences disasters program work regularly with National Weather Service offices to locate satellite images that can aid in damage assessments after tornadoes touch down. “This particular tornado was not a big newsmaker in comparison to some of the others, but the image really showcases how satellites can be useful for quickly assessing damage in rural areas that can be impossible for people on the ground to reach quickly,” said Lori Schultz, a University of Alabama research scientist based at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center. “The satellites can be really useful for filling in the gaps.”
- 12 News (2020, April 22) Newton County couple thankful to be alive after tornado rips roof off home. Accessed April 27, 2020.
- KTRE 9 (2020, April 25) National Weather Service confirms EF-2 tornado in Jasper, Newton Counties. Accessed April 27, 2020.
- Molthan, A. et al. (2020) Incorporation and Use of Earth Remote Sensing Imagery within the NOAA/NWS Damage Assessment Toolkit. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.
- National Weather Service Houston/Galveston (2020, April 22) April 22, 2020 Onalaska Tornado. Accessed April 27, 2020.
- National Weather Service Lake Charles (2020, April 24) Preliminary damage survey results for the April 22nd tornado outbreak. Accessed April 27, 2020.
- National Weather Service (2020, April 24) Damage Survey Viewer. Accessed April 27, 2020.
- National Weather Service Lake Charles (2020, April 26) Preliminary Damage Survey. Accessed April 27, 2020.
- The Weather Channel (2020, April 23) Supercell Spawns Tornadoes While Tracking Nearly 300 Miles in 3 States on Wednesday. Accessed April 27, 2020.